Regents Distinguished Teaching Award
2016-2017 Award Recipients
Spears School of Business
Plant & Soil Sciences
Division of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources
College of Arts & Sciences
College of Arts & Sciences
Applied Health & Educational Psychology
College of Education
Civil & Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering, Architecture & Technology
Design, Housing & Merchandising
College of Human Sciences
To be eligible to receive an award, a full-time member of the faculty must have evidenced unusually significant and meritorious achievement in the instruction of students (graduate and/or undergraduate) for a significant period of years. Such achievement should be evidenced by:
- Unusual effort devoted to ensuring the quality of the students' classroom learning experience.
- Possession of high scholarly standards for both the rigor and currency of course content and for the level of student performance with respect to these standards.
- Available measures of the faculty member's direct impact upon and involvement with students.
- Service as a mentor and role model to other faculty.
- Quality of relevant information and/or nominations submitted by current and former students, including any teacher evaluation forms.
Number of Awards:
- 1 annual award per college (Arts and Sciences will have 2) @ $2,000 each plus appropriate fringe benefits.
Source of Funds:
- State appropriated funds, provided by the General University through the Office of Academic Affairs, covering the permanent increase in salary/benefits for successful nominees, will be allocated to the respective colleges during the budget development cycle.
- Plaques paid from Foundation account or auxiliary enterprises funds.
- This program could be made available at branch campuses or other budget agencies, with funds provided by the respective campuses/agencies.
- Must be nominated by a student and dean.
- Full-time faculty member at OSU for four or more years (must have completed 4th year).
- Hold rank as a tenure track Assistant Professor or above.
- Devote a significant amount of assigned duties to teaching for the past four years.
- An individual can receive this award no more than twice during his/her tenure at OSU.
Support Materials Would Include:
- Letter of nomination from the dean and a student.
- Vitae of nominee.
- Nominee's statement on philosophy of teaching (limited to 2 pages).
- Listing of courses taught and number of students in the last four years.
- Copy of course syllabi, summary of mandated course evaluations for past three years, summary of grading practice.
- Supporting letters from:
- Department head (1)
- Faculty members (no more than 2)
- Students and alumni (no more than 4)
- Other materials as appropriate:
- Evidence used by faculty to gather feedback on teaching effectiveness.
Submission of the Application:
The completed application must fit in a one inch three-ring spiral binder. The application, organized with tab dividers, should be arranged as follows:
- Letters of nomination (dean and a student).
- Vitae of nominee.
- Nominee’s statement of teaching philosophy (limited to two pages).
- Chronological list of courses taught and number of students in each class in the last four years.
- Copy of course syllabi for each course taught; summary of mandated course evaluations for the past three years; summary of grading practices.
- Supporting letters from:Appendix: other materials as appropriate to demonstrate teaching effectiveness. (Remember that everything must fit in the one-inch binder.)
- Department head – one
- Faculty members – no more than two
- Students and alumni – no more than four
- Deans and department heads will be notified of the availability of this award.
- Colleges will develop a process whereby nominations are accepted and support materials are reviewed internally. The top three nominations for each college award will then be forwarded to Academic Affairs, with a letter of support from the dean, for consideration by the university-wide selection committee (composition noted below).
- Support materials for the deans' nominees will be due in the Office of Academic Affairs around the first week of March.
- Review and Selection Committee members will review support materials to identify winners. (It might be necessary to schedule interviews with the finalists prior to the selection of winners.)
- College award winners will be notified of the award and a permanent salary increment of $2,000 annually plus fringe benefits.
- Winners will be announced in September when salary adjustments are recommended to the OSU/A&M Board of Regents. Honorees will also be recognized at the fall University Awards Convocation at which time they will receive public recognition of awards and appropriately inscribed plaques.
Review & Selection Committee:
- One undergraduate student appointed by the President of the Student Government Association.
- One graduate student appointed by the President of the Graduate Student Association.
- Two faculty members at large appointed by the Chair of the Faculty Council.
- Two department heads appointed by the Office of Academic Affairs.
- The Provost & Senior Vice President or designate will Chair.
Approved by the OSU Board of Regents May 22, 1992
Minor Modifications made June 1998